Summer Brings Increased Need for Blood Donations
Summer is here, along with warmer weather and more fun activities that you can fit into three short months. But during the summer, the American Red Cross sees a significant drop in blood donations.
According to Sue Thesenga, external communications manager for the American Red Cross. "During June, July and August, there are about two fewer donors than needed at each Red Cross blood drive. This can add up to more than 100,000 fewer donations during the summer." One hundred thousand donations less in the summer. That is a huge seasonal decline. Donations of all blood types are needed to make sure there is enough supply for those who need it.
Donating doesn’t take very long, can make a huge impact for the recipient and there are a lot of opportunities right in our area. In addition to stopping into one of the upcoming blood drives listed below, you can get the Red Cross Blood Donor app, go online to redcrossblood.org, or call (800) RED-CROSS to schedule an appointment or learn more.
Upcoming dates include:
- June 8 at the Faribault Eagles Club from 12:30-6:30PM
- June 9 at the Faribault Eagles Club from 8:30AM to 1:30PM
- June 10 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Medford from 1-7PM
- June 26 at the Faribault Elks Lodge from 11AM to 4PM
- June 29 at Faribault Hy-Vee from 9AM to 3PM