Minnesota Vikings Set TV Record
A lot of people tuned into the Viking Seahawk playoff game Sunday. The Associated Press said that the game drew 35.3 million viewers, which was an increase of 25 percent over last year's early Sunday wildcard game between Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Sunday's contest was the most-watched early Sunday wildcard game ever, which dates back to 1988. I suspect a number of people tuned in for the same reason I did, and that was to watch the players adapt to the frigid cold.
There are eight teams left in the NFL playoffs. Of those eight, half of them will be led by quarterbacks who were first overall picks in the NFL draft and six of the eight were first-round picks. Here they are:
- Alex Smith of the Chiefs was the first player chosen in '05
- Carson Palmer of the Cardinals was the first overall player chosen in the '03 draft
- Peyton Manning of the Broncos went first overall in '98
- Cam Newton of the Panthers was the first player chosen in the '11 draft
- Aaron Rodgers of the Packers was a first-round choice in '05
- Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers was a first-round pick in '04.
Russell Wilson of the Seahawks was a third rounder and Tom Brady of the Patriots wasn't taken until the sixth round back in 2000.
Perhaps this is a clue as to the importance of selecting and grooming a top-notch quarterback.
Stay warm and get set for the next round of playoffs.