Talk of the Town: Steele County Safe and Drug Free Coalition
On Thursday, April 30, Darren Reed of the Steele County Safe and Drug Free Coalition stopped by the studios of AM1390 KRFO for Talk of the Town. He brought along Youth Advisory Board and SHOC Members Dayla Adams and Shelby Taylor.
Reed gave tips for parents and grown-ups to use year-round about alcohol and drug-free children.
- Know where your child will be throughout the day.
- Find out what the transportation plans are and plan ahead.
- Don't allow them to go to parties where alcohol will be.
- Discuss the dangers of drinking and driving, and drugs.
- Don't host a party with alcohol. There is social host ordinances.
Reed also mentioned that parents and students should look into the After Prom parties that may be in the area. In Owatonna, it will be May 9 and will include games, prizes and food.
Adams and Taylor discussed SHOC - Students Helping Others Choose - which is a high school organization and is youth educating peers and younger students about the effects of drugs, alcohol and tobacco and helping others.
They visit fifth-graders in the classroom and talk about saying "no" and walking away if the peer pressure will not let up. Earlier this week they took a trip to the State Capitol.