Owatonna Has 2 State Wrestling Champions
Owatonna's Peyton Robb won his second straight state wrestling title Saturday, only the third OHS wrestler to do so. His teammate Brandon Moen captured his first.
Robb, a sophomore, won the 120-pound championship with a 3-1 decision in a battle of returning champs. Rylee Molitor of Sartell-St. Stephen won the 113 title in 2015 while Robb took first at 106. Robb joins an elite club of repeat Owatonna champs. Bob Henry won back-to-back titles in 1961-62 and Derek Johnson won in 1999-2000.
Moen, a junior, was the No. 1 seed and top-ranked wrestler at 195 pounds. He beat Samuel Grove of Moorhead 5-4 in the finals. It was Moen's first title and fourth placing medal at state.
It is just the second time in Owatonna High School history to have multiple winners at the state tournament. In 1954, Roy Minter, Sam Bengston and Ron Baker all won titles as the Indians also won the team title under the old scoring format.
Owatonna junior Tanner Cole took third place when he was slammed illegally by his opponent and couldn't continue his match.
NRHEG's Wyatt Fitterer lost the finals at Class A heavyweight. It was the second time at state for the senior and his first medal.
Owatonna's Riley Becker, Cade King, Bryce Goodwin and Griffin Thorn all wrestled at state but did not place. Medford's Willie VonRuden and NRHEG's Cordell Peterson also appeared at state.
Other notable events
- Mark Hall, Apple Valley, won his sixth state title, a Minnesota record.
- Garrett Aldrich, Albert Lea, won his third straight state title.
- Griffin Parriott (New Prague) and Mitchell McKee (St. Michael-Albertville) each won their third title.
- Mankato East heavyweight Logan Swanson won the title in an overtime decision.
- Mankato West's Charlie Pickell won the 106-pound AA title.
- Farmington had two state champions: Victor Gliva (113) and Taylor Venz (182).
- Kenyon-Wanamingo's Jeron Matson won the 106-pound A title.
- Kasson-Mantorville took two titles: Aaron Berge (182) and Noah Ryan (195).
- K-M's Brady Berge suffered a broken leg in the semifinals and could not continue.
- Total attendance at the tournament was 56,381
- In the first year of seeding the individuals, 35 of the 42 No. 1 seeds made the finals.
- 27 of those 35 top seeds also won in the finals.
- The top seed faced the second seed in 21 of the 42 finals.
Updates on the KRFO-area wrestlers.
Riley Becker, freshman, 113 pounds
- defeated Tom Adair, White Bear Lake, 3-1 in first round
- lost to Dylan Droegemueller, Champlin Park in quarterfinals by fall
- defeated Jake Finken, Minnetonka, 5-4 in wrestle backs
- lost to Zachary Nygaard, STMA, in wrestle backs on Saturday
Peyton Robb, sophomore, 120 pounds, three-time state qualifier
- defeated Sebas Swiggum, Apple Valley, 2-0 in first round
- defeated Bret Wilson, Rogers in quarterfinals 12-0
- defeated Zach Smith, Prior Lake, in semifinals 5-3
- defeated Rhylee Molitor, Sartell-St. Stephen, in finals 3-1
- state champion
Cade King, freshman, 132 pounds, repeat state qualifier
- defeated Charlie DesMarais, Buffalo/West Lutheran, 8-0 in first round
- lost to Jakob Bergeland, Centennial, in quarterfinals 10-3
- defeated Lane Rutten, Little Falls, in wrestle backs by pin
- lost to Jamin LeDuc, Farmington, in wrestle backs
Tanner Cole, junior, 138 pounds, four-time state qualifier
- defeated Wyatt Benson, Prior Lake, 3-1 in first round
- defeated Lee Schmalz, Mound-Westonka, in the quarterfinals 12-3
- lost 14-6 to Tyler Shilson, Centennial, in semifinals Saturday
- defeated Jalen Thul, Apple Valley, 3-1 in overtime in wrestle backs
- defeated Austin Braun, Woodbury, in third-place match
- third place
Bryce Goodwin, junior, 145 pounds
- lost to Will Harter, Stillwater, in first round by technical fall
Griffin Thorn, junior, 182 pounds
- lost to Lucas Jeske, STMA, in first round by pin
- lost to Logan Foote, Minnetonka, in wrestle backs by fall
Brandon Moen, junior, 195 pounds, five-time state qualifier
- defeated Jackson Dunnell, Lakeville North, 12-6 in first round
- defeated Felipe Ramirez, Faribault, in quarterfinals 5-3
- defeated Evan Ronsen, STMA, in semifinals Saturday 3-1
- defeated Samuel Grove, Moorhead, in finals 5-4
- state champion
Cordell Peterson, senior, 126 pounds, four-time state qualifier
- lost to Jadon Buntjer, Long Prairie-Grey Eagle/Browerville, 13-11 in first round
Wyatt Fitterer, senior, 285, two-time state qualifier
- defeated David Skiba, Pierz, by fall in the first round
- defeated Tanner Tappe, Frazee, in quarterfinals 10-3
- defeated Trent Esping, Minneota, in semifinals Saturday by pin
- lost to Tanner Welsh, Dover-Eyota, in finals 2-0
Willie Von Ruden, eighth-grade, 120 pounds
- defeated Silas Berg, Aitkin, 6-2 in the first round
- lost to Noah Bauer, Pine Island, in quarterfinals 9-0
- lost to Austin DeVlaeminck, Minneota, in wrestle backs 9-5