Spring Sports are Here; Grab a Shovel
Monday was the first official day of boys tennis practice in Minnesota. It was also the start of the second week for baseball and golf. Indoor drills were likely on the agenda.
Don't let the first couple of weeks of prep sports spring practice fool you. This is March in Minnesota and a snowstorm should be expected. High school athletes in track and field and softball have enjoyed two weeks of above-average temperatures to prepare for their seasons. Baseball and golf teams are in their second week of practice. Boys tennis practice, in theory, began Monday. Boys and girls lacrosse begins Monday, March 30.
Several local track and field teams have started their seasons already with indoor meets. Triton softball is scheduled to play their first game Tuesday, March 31. Blooming Prairie and Medford have games scheduled for Thursday, April 2. Owatonna and NRHEG don't start until the following week.
Opening dates for Owatonna High School:
- Boys track participated at the University of Minnesota on Saturday, March 21
- Girls track goes to Gustavus Adolphus College on Tuesday, March 31
- Baseball hosts Rochester Century on Tuesday, April 7
- Softball goes to Century on Tuesday, April 7
- Boys tennis opens at home versus Winona Cotter on Tuesday, April 7
- Girls golf plays at Faribault Country Club on Friday, April 10, to open their season
- Boys lacrosse begins at Hopkins on Saturday, April 11
- Girls lacrosse starts at Hastings on Tuesday, April 14
- Boys golf hosts Mankato East on Tuesday, April 14