Owatonna Softball Returns Strong Group of Veterans for 2016 Season
Owatonna High School softball returns 10 varsity players from last season, including all of their pitching and most of their offensive production.
Early on in practice, Huskies head coach Brian Pilcher says the team is working on offense and how to manufacture some more runs this season. The third-year coach says defense will always be important but wants to get a head start on the offense.
Pilcher says Tiana Blazek, the primary pitcher from last season, worked with a pitching coach in the off season. Outfielder Riley Sheehy was one of the top offensive producers for the Huskies last spring while hitting nearly .500, according to Pilcher. The Huskies went 10-12 overall last season and 7-9 in the Big Nine. OHS had just two seniors on the team in 2015 with Abby Bendorf and Jordan Kubista.
- Kianna Butler
- Kayla Johnson
- Kirstin Pumper
- Millie Wanous
- Braelyn Johnson
- Ellie Rohman
- Tiana Blazek
- Jamie Davison
- Hannah Fisher
- Samantha Hager
- Kenzie Karsten
- Erin Peterson
- Riley Sheehy
- Alexa Sommers
- Jenna VonRuden
- Jenna Zeman
The Big Nine Conference website shows the Huskies beginning their season April 8 against the defending Section 1AAA champs.
- April 8 at Farmington, 4:30PM
- April 9 at Rochester JM, 12PM
- April 12 vs. Northfield, 5PM
- April 14 at Faribault, 5PM
- April 16 at Mankato East, 12PM, double header
- April 19 vs. Albert Lea, 5PM
- April 22 vs. Rochester Century, 5PM
- April 23 at Shakopee tournament, 10AM
- April 26 at Red Wing, 5PM
- April 28 vs. Rochester Mayo, 5PM
- May 3 at Northfield, 5PM
- May 5 vs. Faribault, 5PM
- May 10 at Albert Lea, 5PM
- May 12 vs. Mankato West, 4PM, double header
- May 17 vs. Austin, 5PM
- May 19 at Winona, 5PM
The Huskies softball and baseball programs will play in the new Section 1AAAA this spring against Rochester Mayo, John Marshall, Century, New Prague, Farmington, Lakeville North and Lakeville South at playoff time.