Owatonna Girls Tennis Team Opens the Season Monday
The Owatonna High School girls tennis team will be the first Huskies varsity sport to start its season when they play at Lakeville North on Monday.
The 2016-17 prep sports year begins Monday for OHS as the girls tennis team faces Eden Prairie and North at Lakeville North High School. Action begins at 9AM. The Big Nine website shows the Huskies boys cross country team in an event as well. The Owatonna school board is scheduled to vote on adding trap shooting as a program through Owatonna Community Education at its Monday meeting. A presentation was made in June to the board.
Owatonna has just three home matches this season. Those dates are listed in bold.
- August 22 at Lakeville North, with Eden Prairie, 9AM
- August 23 at Rochester JM, with Red Wing, 11AM
- August 25 at Winona, with Mankato West, 9AM
- August 30 at Rochester Mayo, 4:30PM
- September 13 vs. Faribault, 4:30PM
- September 15 vs. Northfield, 4:30PM
- September 17 at Rochester JM invitational, 9AM
- September 20 at Albert Lea, 4:30PM
- September 22 at Rochester Century, 4:30PM
- September 24 at Litchfield, 9AM
- September 27 vs. Austin, 4:30PM
- September 29 at Mankato East, 4:30PM
- October 1 at Big Nine Tournament at Rochester Outdoor Tennis Center, 9AM
- October 4 section tournament begins
The Minnesota State High School League lists Owatonna's seniors as Annabelle Paquin, Caitlin Anderson, Gabi Deml, Grace Simon, Katherine Segler and Margaret Schlicker. The juniors are Alissa Weide, Lauren Betti, Macy Voss and Taylor Velzke. Emily Rahrick is a sophomore. Freshmen include Liv Matejcek and Sara Anderson. Eighth-graders on the roster are Caitlynne Bussert and Megan Johnson.
Student managers are Noah Velzsquez and Reed Tucker. The head coach is Curt Matejcek with assistants Beth Fink and Chuck Jamison.