Owatonna DECA Students in Minneapolis
Owatonna DECA adviser Scott Pierce sent an update on the 59 Owatonna DECA students at the State Career Development Conference in Minneapolis that took place Sunday, March 6, to Tuesday, March 8.
The conference has more than 50 events that focus on entrepreneurship, finance, hospitality, marketing and related fields. The national DECA Conference will be April 23-26 in Nashville, Tennessee, with more than 16,000 members from the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Guam and Puerto Rico who will all be competing for scholarships and national awards.
Five Owatonna students qualified by placing second.
- Lydia Anez and Luke Holzerland in Marketing Communications Team Role Play
- Anna Keltto, Karissa Hilstad and Brady Ruiter in the Learn and Earn Chapter Project
Also reaching the finals:
- In Buying and Merchandising Team Role Play: Brooke Otterson and Mark Hanson
- In Personal Finance Role Play: Nick Heisler
- Community Service Project: Jenna Rhoades, Maria Goldberg and Hannah Cochlin
- Karissa Hilstad and Sam Schuster with their sales demonstrations
- In Buying and Merchandising Operations Research Event: Elena Bueltel, Mark Hanson and Luke Bunkers
Riley Arthur and Nick Heisler earned top test taker awards in Business Adminstration and Finance areas.
The Outstanding DECA award went to Otterson, Anez and Hilstad in their chapter. The Gold Certified School Based Enterprise was awarded to the school store.
As part of the Thrive membership campaign, Otterson, Alex Emanuelson and Laura Bloomenrader will also be attending the national conference.
Congratulations to all the students that attended the DECA conference and good luck to those attending the national conference.