Consider Buying a Southern Minnesota-Grown Christmas Tree
Many people have a tradition of looking for a real Christmas tree on the day before or day or weekend after Thanksgiving. Christmas trees are big business in Minnesota. And why not shop these places on Small Business Saturday weekend.
According to Minnesota Grown, Minnesota Christmas tree farmers sell 500,000 trees each year. The trees are grown on farms and they are a renewable crop. For every tree harvested, farmers plant one to three seedlings in its place. It takes 8-12 years for a real Christmas tree to grow to market height. During this time, farmers shear the trees for the proper shape, water young trees and make sure the trees have the proper nutrients to grow. And, of course, buying a locally grown tree helps the local economy. The most popular Christmas tree varieties grown in Minnesota are the balsam fir, fraser fir and Scotch pine.
According to the Minnesota Grown Directory, there are six tree farms within 25 miles of Faribault. They are:
- Nelson's Apple Farm in Elko/New Market
- Log Cabin Pines LLC in Elko/New Market
- Hampton Hills Tree Farm in Cannon Falls
- Revak Nursery in Lakeville
- Gifford's Tree Farm in Lakeville
- Silver Bell Tree Farm in Farmington
- Thorn crest Farm in Dundas
- Enzenauer Evergreens in Wanamingo
You can do searches to correspond to where you live if these are not in your area.