New Record Late Ice Outs are Coming to Rice County
Ice out records appear to be toppling throughout Minnesota and Rice County is no exception. For whatever reason Cannon Lake is not listed on the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Lake Ice Out Map but a few Rice County lakes have already surpassed their previous record date.
French Lake has April 15, 2014 listed as it's record. Phelps and Cody Lake April 2, 1988, Roberds Lake is April 20, 1979. Cedar is April 30, 1983 and Shields April 28, 2013. The earliest ice out date for Shields is March 7, 1931. The earliest for French, March 15, 2016 and earliest for Roberds is March 8, 2000. We did check some other lakes in the region and around the state listed on the DNR website.
- Albert Lea Lake latest ice out date April 18, 2013
- Washington Lake, April 27, 1965
- Pepin- Lake City May 20, 1843
- Fountain- Albert Lea, April 30, 1953
- Clear Lake- Waseca April 27, 1951
- Minnetonka- May 5, 1857
- Alimagnet- Burnsville April 26, 1975
- Bde Maka Ska (Calhoun)- April 28, 2013
- Harriet- April 28, 2013
- White Bear Lake- May 4, 1950
- Zumbro- Olmsted County April 21, 2013
- Winnibigoshish- May 17, 2013
- Gull- May 18, 1950
The definition of lake ice out varies from lake to lake. Some lakes it's when the lake is completely free of ice and other lakes when the lake is 90 percent free of ice according to the DNR.