Lisa’s Logic: Today is Earth Day
Today, April 22, is Earth Day. It was founded by then Wisconsin Sen. Gaylord Nelson in 1970. He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award in 1995. In 2009, Earth Day was renamed as International Mother Earth Day.
Earth Day is a reminder of the other three R's -- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Companies have come up with different ways to make recyclables useful again.
- Plastic can now be made into reusable bags, boards for decks and benches, clothing and more plastic.
- Metal is made into cars, buildings and new cans.
- Paper is made into more paper.
- Products from aluminum include more cans and ready-meal packaging.
- Glass is being reused to be part of countertops, backsplashes, and bottles and jars.
Here are a few ways to help Mother Earth today and every day.
- Plant trees and wildflowers
- Don't litter and, if you see litter, pick it up
- Use cloth reusable bags
- If you do get plastic bags, most stores now have containers so they can be recycled
- Donate unused items in good condition such as clothing, housewares and furniture
- Conserve water and electricity
The sun is shining above ... Think Happy Thoughts.