Lisa’s Logic: April has History
Here is some history that happened in April.
- The dollar bill was patented by Oliver Pollack on April 1.
- In 1860, the Pony Express begins delivering the mail on April 3.
- Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on April 4 in 1968.
- The "Unsinkable" RMS Titantic departs from Southampton, England, on April 10, 1912. On the 15th, it hits an iceberg in the northern Atlantic and sinks.
- In 1961, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first person in space on April 12.
- On April 14, President Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth in 1865. He died the next day.
- On April 18, 1775, as the Revolutionary War begins, Paul Revere rides from Charlestown to Lexington, Mass., shouting "the Red Coats are coming."
- In 1906, on April 18, the Great San Fransisco earthquake hits, killing 700 people.
- On April 27, 1937, the first Social Security checks were distributed.
- The zipper was patented by Gideon Sundback of New Jersey in 1913.