About 11:27 Saturday morning the Rice County Sheriff's Office received a report of a garage on fire at 11840 Falls Trail in rural Lonsdale. Fire units and deputies responded and they found on arrival that the fire had spread to the attached house.

The family identified as the Allen Ross family was able to get out with only minor injuries. Two family members were checked out on scene by Northfield Ambulance and treated for smoke inhalation and were released at the scene. The Lonsdale fire department was assisted by departments from Northfield, Faribault and Montgomery.

The Rice County Sheriff's office is investigating but at this time it appears to be an accidental fire, originating in the garage apparently started by a space heater. The house and garage are a total loss.

ThinkStock